Saturday, March 11, 2017

Losing the Ego, not so sad of a loss.

So, yesterday I confessed that I had this little epiphany.

In a moment of acceptance I realized that I was an expert and also that I suddenly had very little ego about it.

In this post I want to explain what that means to me.

First off, just a little of my understanding of what ego means. Without too much research here, this comes from a Freudian idea that there is an Id, an Ego, and a SuperEgo. (Check it out:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego if you're more interested.)

Anyway, I mean ego in the more common sense of a feeling of 'self-importance' and 'confident in your excellence'. But in a kind of negative way (like 'fake it till you make it') as if you have to constantly prove it, rather than just being.

So, in that moment I seem to have accepted that I have been trying to hard to prove something (my expertise) and not just letting myself be the healer that I really am.

Since that moment I am an even better therapist... but I feel very little ego.

Does that sound counter-intuitive?

I just want to share this little insight and it may help jog something free in you. You can accept that you are pretty special, and not have to worry too much about it.

Yours,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
Please inform LOFT of your reference to this information at RegisteredFunctionalTherapist@gmail.com.