Friday, March 10, 2017

An Expert... but with less Ego than before.

Imagine my surprise...

In the Summer of 2016 I was taking a course with John F. Barnes. Actually, I took 3 that week.

The thing about learning from John is that one of his points is to stop trying so hard.

Now, yesterday I listed out a little of my resume type highlights... I actually have more than that going on... and I am passably good at many things outside of therapy too.

But when it comes to therapy... I'm really very good.

Sorry, it sounds like bragging... but you're here because I promised some self revelation. (Or at least you might be looking for that...)

So, I'm sitting there, listening to John and suddenly I realize 'I've been trying too hard.' Sure, it only took a lot.

So, at that moment (Summer 2016) I knew this - "Up to this time I am really very good... even great at thinking about, problem solving and performing therapy..."

I realized I don't really need to chalk up any more accomplishments to be great... (Even though I have taken on 4+ more really intense educational projects since then. Hey, I'm having fun.)

But, even though, I feel like I'm even better at doing therapy, I suddenly had so much less ego about it. (That is, ego about doing therapy... it didn't make me perfect.)

More about this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
Please inform LOFT of your reference to this information at RegisteredFunctionalTherapist@gmail.com.